Track Closing Protest.

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2369 Views:2857 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have been asked by Barry Chare secretary of 4WD Victoria ( www.vafwdc.org.au) to pass on the following information. Many of the Victorians will be aware that tracks around Mount Stirling and other areas have been closed to 4WD, and we don't want to end up like the NSW 4WDers that often have to use 4WD parks for our activities. The Message is as follows
FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VICTORIA HAS THREE PRINCIPAL AIMS FOR THE 2002 ELECTION CAMPAIGN

1. To promote the adoption of a 4WD ENVIRONMENTAL CHARGE on
recreational four-wheel drive vehicles.

The money to be placed into a reserved fund administered by a committee including representatives from Four Wheel Drive Victoria, Parks Victoria and NRE. The fund will:
* Promote Public education about four-wheel driver vehicles
*Driver Training for four wheel-drivers
* Disseminate information about safe and sustainable driving and touring practices
* Provide funds for the maintenance and repair of four-wheel drive tracks.

2. Campaign to ensure that access is maintained to existing four-wheel drive tracks on public land and to re-open tracks currently closed to the public in accordance with Four Wheel Drive Victoria Policy.

3. To establish Four Wheel Drive Victoria as the recognised leader of the four-wheel drive movement in Victoria.

To achieve these ends a publicity campaign will be run over the remaining weeks of the election campaign and a strategy put in place to continue to influence the incoming government in the weeks following the election when ministers are appointed and policy is being prepared.

We are asking clubs to support these activities by:
* Circulating information to their members
* Provide FWD Victoria with members email addresses to allow fast and direct contact with four wheel drivers and club members.
* Support the campaign by making a donation to our campaign fund.

PUBLIC MEETING IN MANSFIELD 23rd NOVEMBER 2002
We are organizing a public meeting to be held in Mansfield on Saturday
23rd
November starting at 2.0 pm. The Vic Nats' candidate Bill Sykes and the
Liberal candidate Andrew Dwyer have agreed to speak and we are hopeful
of
also getting the ALP sitting member and candidate Ms Denise Allen.

PLEASE GET THIS INFORMATION TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF YOUR CLUB AND ENSURE A GOOD TURNOUT AT MANSFIELD ON THE 23RD.

CONVOY TO THE MANSFIELD RALLY
We would like to advise that we are organising a convoy to drive to the public meeting at Mansfield on Saturday 23rd November at 2:00pm.

Meeting time; Will be 10.00am for a Departure time of 11.00am.

Meeting place: Will be the Park in the main street of YARRA GLEN or any where along the route that they would like to join in.

At this stage channel 15 UHF or 5 on 27mhz CB will be used

The co-ordinator will be Andrew Mansor from the Range Rover Club. Mob 0428 592 492

Clubs might like to display whatever Banners they have of their clubs on both the vehicles and at the Rally.

Police at Mansfield have been notified and are passing on information to the Highway patrol.

WE NEED ALL CLUBS AND CLUB MEMBERS TO SUPPORT THIS MEETING AND ENSURE A LARGE TURNOUT!
Ray Charlton
Wanderin 4 Wheelers
GU Ute
PS Interstaters are welcome

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00
Well, hopefully all the motorcyclists will already be voting Liberal over the $50.00 motorcycle rip-off that has been loaded onto our registration for some reason or other.

Bracks is like all Labor Politicians - NOT REAL SMART.
AnswerID: 8526

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Bracks is like all Labor Politicians - NOT REAL SMART.

Actually you should change it to

Bracks is like ALL Politicians - NOT REAL SMART.
Theres not one in the country there for the small bloke.

if you really wanna sus it out goto aus.politics newsgroup.... otherwise this could get about 120910298310293810923102398 post thread....

PS. I agree with the $50 levy, IF... If it was used for what its intended for. Safety. but it will go towards the 70% Tax payer funded super or holidays, or nrew office for Bracks, or one of those URGENT government meetings in Hawaii or some other nice place.
FollowupID: 4143

Reply By: Tony James - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

"To promote the adoption of a 4WD ENVIRONMENTAL CHARGE on
recreational four-wheel drive vehicles. " ARE YOU KIDDING????????? This sounds like NSW Greenies wanting a rego loading on 4x4's because they are bigger and kill more pedestrians!!!!!!! Please explain! What we DON'T want is in-equality because we drive a 4x4! What we want is a fair go for all public users. 4x4, people who like to walk or camp or ride a bike(motor or otherwise). Not locked up national parks so no-one uses them. As for a special levy on my 4x4 - GO TO !!@#@$%. NO-WAY - they don't get my vote! Sorry if I have grossly misunderstood you post but incase I haven't, I am bitterly opposed to any levy applied to 4x4's!
Tony

AnswerID: 8531

Im only the messenger!

If you have any questions, then call this bloke, and then tell us what he said.. Would be interested in hearing his answer.

The co-ordinator will be Andrew Mansor from the Range Rover Club. Mob 0428 592 492
FollowupID: 4145

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

correct me if i am wrong but did victoria aready have a levey in place before the current gov was elected.& i believe it enabled the 4wd vic ass to amass a good size fighting fund for keeping tracks open,how successful it was should be looked into before commiting
AnswerID: 8536

Follow Up By: Raymond Charlton - Thursday, Nov 14, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Bruce
You are correct, we did have a levy which went to education and track maintenance, with the vafwdc (now being known 4WD Victoria) having a large say in the way the money was spent. The idea is similar to what the fishermen in Victoria pay, a levy which the fishing clubs decide on how it is spent. The money would be used to pay to maintain tracks that otherwise will be closed. The enviromental tax is to appease the Green Vote and to boast the profile of 4WDers
Ray
FollowupID: 4148

I must admit Im against the new levy how ever good it may seem. So are most people Ive sent this too.

I pay thru the ringhole now for rego, and fuel levys, and this levy and that levy... Parks Permits, this permit that permit... Come on, its gotta stop... We pay money thru our club memberships for the association and their running costs... I see this sucking.

So a WRX is a 4wd, do they pay? If so Im all for it, imagine the trillions they will make from all the Toorak Taxis, WRX, BMW's Audis, softroaders, etc etc.. BUT its going to be a polly that makes the rules and with an election happening they will only make it for people who go offroad somehow.

How about the Government doing what they are supposed to with my money they take off me instead of junkets, and new $500,000 offices and paintings, and crap???
FollowupID: 4151

Follow Up By: Robert - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster I totally agree with what you say. You are not the only one sick of being slugged extra fee's for this and that by a greedy government.
We even now have NRE charging a permit to hunt PEST ANIMALS on crown land.

For years the government has been taking our taxes and when for the first time they actually have to do something such as vehicle track maintenance what is their response - CLOSE IT.

As 4wd's use more fuel than car's 4wd owners are already contributing much more in taxes (fuel tax) so any extra cost to maintain tracks is already paid for.

The interests of Bushwalkers are well looked after by the government so why shouldn't also the interests of 4wd owners/campers and others. Or is it that our natural areas are to be kept for a select few.
FollowupID: 4164

Reply By: johnsy - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Its pulic land or state forest use your fighting fund to take the polictical parties to court and use the elections to sack them. The CLP got that message loud and clear in the last NT election and the now shadow minister for tourism is aware that self drive tourers put a lot more into the local economy than fly in fly out package deals for internationals.
cya johnsy

AnswerID: 8552

Reply By: CLIVEB - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

THIS IS MADNESS,WE SHOULD NOT OFFER ANYTHING TO THE GOVERMENT.THE STATE FORESTS AND PUBLIC LAND IS SUPPOSED TO BE OURS! PUSH FOR COMMITMENTS BY THE VOTE HUNGRY POLITICIANS BY ALL MEANS,BUT TO OFFER TO PAY,COME ON.
WITH THE ABSOLUTE WASTAGE BY GOVERMENTS,LET ALONE ABOVE BOARD SUPER PAYMENTS ETC GIVE THEM NOT ONE CENT MORE THAN THEY CAN LEGALLY EXTRACT.
ASSOCIATION MEMBERS,CLUB MEMBERS, HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OFF,WE PUT IN WHEN REQUIRED, AND ARE PREPARED TO ASSIST IN TRACK MAINTENANCE.
THIS IS THE LINE TO PUSH,OFFERING MONEY IS LIKE LETTING A KID LOOSE IN A LOLLY SHOP.
THE RALLY WOULD BE MORE SUCCESSFULL IF IT SHOWED HOW LARGE THE VOTING BLOCK OF 4WD OWNERS IS (LIKE A PREVIOUS SPRING ST ONE TO RECLAIM THE TRACKS).
LETS FACE IT BOTH PARTIES CARE ONLY ABOUT SURVIVAL AND VOTES ONLY.
CLIVE BLAKELY L.R.O.C MEMBER(20 YRS)
AnswerID: 8560

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

I agree...

Ive never seen a club or member turn down helping to maintain tracks, and on the annual Aussie clean up days... Not once.

We do do our share.

As I said before, there are some clubs that have Adpoted tracks! The clubs physically look after tracks in Vic, I also know our club has approached for other tracks around our property, and have had nothing back from Parks... Probably out blasting around the tracks in the car I pay for for them to do it in....

Also any mention of how many Eons the levy would be for? Remember the 3x3 Fuel levy in NSW???

What that was around 15yrs ago wasnt it??? AND ITS STILL GOING AND ROADS ARE NO BETTER....

FollowupID: 4172

Reply By: bruce.h - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
hi again all
well i agree with you insome aspects but why should juast ahand full of club members be expected to do all the work to keep access
open for the greater mass,lets face the larger proportion of 4x4 user or non users benifit from your hard work without ever liftingba finger to help.yes a levy is apian in the ass/ pocket but if it placed on all 4x4s would itnot spread the load more evenly & alow more money to fight the isues if iremember corectly 4wd vic had alot of say how the money is spent & lets face it in politics money is life, more money you have the more polition are forced to listen & act,dont be to hasty to cut your own political neck.
just a thought
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 8590

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

So If I work with my club etc, and maintain the tracks(our club adopted the tracks around our club property, and check and maintain them at monthly working bees), I shouldn't have to pay?

but if Im a Toorak Tractor/George St Farmer that goes out once or 2ice a yr, I pay Correct??

Sounds good...

My problem is that some pollys are liars, and corrupt scum... I hold rapists in higher standing...

The money wont go to tracks, look at car rego and road tax etc, what % of that ACTUALLY goes to roads like it is intended? and not to 70% Tax payer funded superannuation for the bludgers?

Look at the fishing license thing.. How effective is that
FollowupID: 4199

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
hi truckster
i did get the inpresion polies dont rate highly with you,unfortunatly they are a nessary evil & as the alternative the type of leaders generaly shoot you for disagreeing with them i will stick with our lot,it is my experance that politions are only interested in getting re-elected& the secrete using them is to use this agianst them by having a vocal lobby group to be always in thier face,it does not matter if they are good or bad bad publicity scares them a well organised group of trained negosiators can move pollies in any direction they wish all you need is money so even if to start with only a small portion of $ makes into the coffers of 4wd vic & guys like you keep the presure on the heads of 4wd vic you would be supprised how far you can get,just ask the greenies (from a small group to political pain in the major parties ass in a very small time in the political sence) how you might well ask because they had people who new how to use the system to get the $ so whats my point you may well ask the levy need not be for ever but if it provides the leg to get where the $ are & help get your sport recognised as a legitimate recreation is thier room for alittle pain to achieve the greater good may be i am look through rose coloured glasses becauce i dont live in vic,lets keep thruoghing this about with any luck we will drag enough people in to start something
FollowupID: 4204

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

I am a member of thye National Party of Victoria . I have been part of the policy development committee that has been formulating public land access and use and have been heavily involved with the bush users group (BUGS). Peter Hall the National Party member with the portfolio for Natural Resourses has been asking the Victorian 4 wheel drive association for input to our policies on access to parks. Despite nunerous requests over the past couple of months,(since the Bendgo protest rally), no help or information could be obtained from the association to formulate a policy for our party. As an owner of a 4 wheel drive since 1972 and an ex member of a 4 wheel drive club (prefer to do my own thing) I oppose a levy to 4 wheel drives . I don't even go to the mountains .Why should I pay a levy? Remember the $40.00 we had to pay under the Cain Government, the most unpopular tax ever burdened on 4 wheel drivers.
AnswerID: 8597

Sponsored Links